Integrating Google Tag Manager (GTM) into your website is relatively straightforward!
For tracking scripts to work properly, make sure that a cookie banner is enabled on your website 💡
Connect GTM to Your Website
Within the builder, access the integrations settings, find the Google Tag Manager field, and insert your Container ID there:
Save the changes and update your website.
Find Your GTM Container ID
1. Log in to your Google Tag Manager account.
2. You'll see the Container ID which consists of
GTM- and some letters or numbers – that’s the ID you need to paste in your website's integrations settings:
Check if GTM Is Connected Successfully
Method 1 – View Source Code
Open your website in a browser, right-click anywhere on the page, and select View page source:
Use the search command (CTRL+F / CMD+F) and look for your GTM Container ID:
If you can see the ID, it means the integration has been successfully added to your site.
Method 2 – Use Google Tag Assistant
1. Install the Chrome extension called Google Tag Assistant.
2. Open your website in Chrome.
3. Click on the extension, select the wanted tags (check/uncheck the boxes), select if you want to validate selected pages or all pages, and click Done:
4. Then, click Enable and reload the page:
5. Click on the extension again to see the results:
To learn more, check out the Beginners Guide to Google Tag Manager.