Table of contents
What are product variations?
Product variations are useful when you have the same product available in different sizes or colors.
With product variations, you can:
Add different images for every product option in your store (frequently used for apparel and shoes).
Automatically adjust prices with customer selections.
Track inventory with unique SKUs to prevent overselling.
Adjust the weight to get more precise shipping rates at checkout.
Let's say you're selling a t-shirt that comes in two sizes (small and medium) and two colors (yellow and gray), meaning it has four variants in total.
When variations are enabled and correctly set up, any time a customer selects a variation for a product in your store, the product price and image are updated automatically.
Adding product variations
Each product can have an unlimited number of options and variations.
1. From your Store Manager, go to Catalog → Products and create a new product or choose an existing product that comes with different options (such as colors, sizes, shapes, etc.).
2. In the Options tab, use the Drop-down Menu, Radio Buttons, or Size input types for each option, so you can further create variations.
3. Click Add New Value to add values to every option. In our example, we add Yellow and Grey for Color and Small and Medium for Size.
If your product has only one option, but this option has more than one value (e.g. size S and size M), you can also create variations for it. This way, every option value will become a separate variation that can have its own image, weight, SKU, etc.
4. Switch to the Variations tab, and click + New Variation.
5. Select values of options for this variation. In our example, it's the values of color and size.
6. Set the SKU, Price, Weight, and a different image for the variation.
7. Click Manage to set the stock of the product variant. Set the number in stock and the quantity for the low stock notifications.
8. Click OK.
9. Repeat the steps for all the necessary variations.
10. Set the stock of the base product to Unlimited.
11. Click Save.
That's it! Now your customers can choose from options and see corresponding pictures and prices while browsing. This is how variations look in the storefront: